What are cookies?
Cookies are small pieces of text that visited websites send to the browser to allow the website to remember the preferences of users who have visited the page.
Types of cookies:
There are different types of cookies:
- According to its manager: depending on the entity that manages the equipment or domain from which the cookies are sent and treats the data obtained, it can be distinguished between:
- Own cookies: the equipment or domain is managed by the publisher itself from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: the computer or domain is not managed by the publisher but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
- Depending on its duration:
- Session cookies: designed to request and store data while the user accesses a website and are deleted in leaving the website.
- Persistent cookies: the data are still stored in the user’s terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to various years.
- Depending on its purpose:
- Technical cookies: allow the user to browse through a website, platform, or application and use the different options or services that are in it.
- Personalization cookies: allow the user to access their service with some predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria in the user’s terminal such as the language, the type of browser through which the service is accessed, locale from where the service is accessed, etc.
- Analysis cookies: allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyze the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used in the measurement of the activity of the websites, application or platform for the elaboration of browsing profiles of the users of these sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements based on the analysis of usage data made by users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: allow the management in the most efficient way possible of the advertising spaces that, if possible, the publisher has included in a website, application or platform from which it provides the requested service based on criteria such as the content edited or how often ads are shown.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: allow the management in the most efficient way possible of the advertising spaces that the publisher has included in a website, application or platform from which it provides the requested service. Thus they store information about the behavior of users obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows to develop a specific profile to show advertising based on it.
You can block or delete cookies installed on your computer by configuring your browser options. For more information on the options in the different browsers: